Where does your stress come from?
For me, this is what creates stress in my life:
1) When what I expect doesn’t happen. (I’m working on reducing the number of expectations I have – you know, intention without attachment and all that).
2) When I ask someone to do something, they say “OK”, then they don’t do it – or worse, they do the exact opposite of what I ask. (Working on reducing the number of things I ask of people to solve this one. Also, reducing the stress of #1 helps with this.)
3) When the people I love hurt each other.
4) When I feel helpless, trapped or otherwise being coerced beyond my control to do or think things (this includes passive-aggressive behavior). (This is one reason why we homeschool, because school provides so much of this kind of stress for everyone in the family. And in everyday life, I generally try to avoid people and situations that create this kind of stress. I have tried the “stand up and fix the situation” approach and only made it worse. Avoidance seems the best solution.)
5) When my space has too much input: this can include clutter, noise, tactile, or smells.
Studies show that stress decreases learning. By reducing stress, we make it easier (and more fun) to learn.
I also think that 90% of the time, we have control over our life stresses. And 90% of the time, the solution is a change of perspective.
What are your 5 things that stress you out and are you actively trying to reduce these kinds of stress?
Then, can we identify the 5 things that make our kids stressed out and how can we make their lives less stressful?